Thursday, October 1, 2015

Post 2

Learning about the different sociological theories in class have made me have a different outlook on life. Learning about our Social Construction of Reality have helped me learn that the mannerisms I conduct on a day to day basis haven't come from an internal development over time but was shaped by the society and world I was born into.  With this concept I have realized that the society that made me who I am today. Becoming a die hard Chicagoland Sports fan, except for those ugly uniforms in the south, was because I lived in the city where I do. Family parties have always had one constant and that was watching a sports game of one of our beloved Chicago sports team. 
Knowing what I do now I understand the Sociological Mindfulness that I have. Growing up with my two best friends being Green Bay Packers fans I never thought different of them even though in the football fan society we should be butting heads at every moment we get.  In the article The Sociologically Examined Life by Schwalbe he says, "mindfulness is useful because it helps us see how our lives are intertwined and how our words and deeds help or harm others in non obvious ways" (16). If I wasn't mindful of the differences between our differences in our sports teams I probably wouldn't be the same person I am today and most likely lead a completely different life than I do today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandon, I think that I'd go further to say that if you weren't mindful, you would judge your friends for being Packer Backers and you'd sterotype them negatively. I like that you used Schwalbe's reading in your answer. Be careful of your writing - especially that second sentence.

    ReplyDelete